Monday 5 October 2009

Why am I doing this?

Through a varied medium I discuss how memories make us who we are, how we analyse and edit our past in our minds, creating a labyrinth of feelings, people and moments in time. I am interested in the idea of memory as identity; with loss of memory comes the loss of ourselves, our life’s path slowly erasing behind us.

The work I am creating is a response to my feelings about memory; how I have witnessed my Grandfather’s attempts to hold on to memories that Alzheimer’s threatens to take away; how I struggle to remember a face that once meant the world to me; how an item, an image or a word can resuscitate an emotion and how I can forget the things that I have loved but am haunted by events that I wish I could take away.

No comments:

Post a Comment