Friday 18 December 2009

Can Gerry Robinson Fix Dementia Care Homes?

I missed the first episode but watched the second this week and thought this program was amazing. I went through all emotions I was happy, sad, angry and at the end I cried. I had been told it would be hard for me to watch, as I might relate it to my Grandad, but at the same time I would find it interesting. That was correct. I’m not concerned about my Grandad, I’m really happy with the home that he is in now.
I think it is absolutely amazing that this program is on the TV, serious issues are being raised and dealt with. Issues that I have witnessed first hand and those that I hope never to see. But also examples of what it should be like for residents of care homes, simple things that can make a massive difference.
Earlier on the same day I had been at the dementia care home with work. We were doing one on one sessions making Christmas Pomanders out of oranges, cloves and cinnamon. I had a really nice time and the two residents that I worked with seemed to really enjoy the activity. I feel so much better going in with an activity rather than just relying on my conversation. I don’t know if that is because of my background of delivering art workshops to groups or if it is because I can see the positive effect of an activity much more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment